A no-prep but totally educational sorting and matching toddler activity! Perfect for little caterpillars who own more shoes and socks than their parents!
Socks and Shoes Matching Activity for Toddlers!
- Pick out a couple of contrasting socks and shoes from your little one's wardrobe
- Lay out one side of the socks and shoes
- Place the twin socks and shoes in a holder or box
- Pull out a sock or shoe and demonstrate "pairing" - placing it on top of or beside its twin. Repeat till your child looks eager to try. (Remember not to demonstrate without talking at the same time so your child can better focus, observe and learn! This is a Montessori practice I had learnt.)
For young toddlers, guidance and prompting would be very helpful.
Benefits of this Matching Activity
- Organising (arranging things into like and different) helps a child make sense of the world and improves cognitive ability
- Matching and sorting promote logical thinking and problem-solving
- Matching and sorting help children in math and numeracy when they are older
- Build language skills and vocabulary through varied description of the socks and shoes throughout the activity
- Teach children to take care of and be accountable for their belongings
Gwen's Play Experience
Gwen spent a long time on this activity... but not because she was matching lol.
She was really keen on manipulating the socks, putting her hand in to turn it into a puppet, turning it inside out, trying them on etc. When I saw how focused she was on that, I decided to leave her to it. The Montessori rule is try not to interrupt a child in deep concentration, because she's actively learning something. I can't be sure what exactly Gwen was trying to figure out, but I have faith in learning through play!
Will definitely repeat this activity sometime in the future! Probably when she has a good feel of the socks and shoes and doesn't need to spend so much time exploring them haha.
To follow Gwen's play adventures, check out @miraculove_sg (Instagram) or A Toddler Activity A Day Facebook Group.
You might also like:
Hi! I am Yunnie. I am the newly minted mama to a little baby girl and a mum friend to everyone on this special (and many times scary) journey of motherhood. Also a graduated bride with a penchant for weddings.