I love that fall leaves come in all shapes, sizes and colors. The ones that are most common in my neighborhood are yellowish brown maple leaves, and these are the ones which Gwen pick most! Fun fact: Some of the fall leaves are even bigger than her face!
These fall leaves strewn all over roads, grass lawns and pavements make such a great resource for art and craft toddler activities. I keep a handful of them at home for craft making! Here's another art activity I did with Gwen a while back with fall leaves that taught the anatomy of trees.
Since Thanksgiving is coming up, I decided to make a simple turkey craft with my little one to decorate our home.
Turkey Craft with Fall Leaves Toddler Activity!
You will require the following materials:
- Fallen maple leaves
- Bathroom paper roll
- Googly eyes (optional)
- Art supplies like markers or crayons
- Hot glue gun or tape
- Flatten the bathroom paper roll
- Draw the defining traits of a turkey's face on the paper roll (Remember to include the turkey's defining feature - the "snoods", otherwise known as the red fleshy thing hanging off turkeys' beaks!)
- Engage your toddler to help decorate the turkey's face
- Glue or tape the paper roll onto a maple leaf that's bigger than the paper roll
- Decorate your home with these diy turkey crafts!
- Pair this craft activity with a book on Thanksgiving to help little ones understand the meaning of the event and symbolism of turkeys
- Ideal to do this activity as a follow-up to a nature stroll
Benefits of this Turkey Craft Activity
- Build animal (turkey) recognition
- Enhance understanding of cultures and events (thanksgiving)
- Encourage creativity and self-expression with free-style decoration of turkey
- Send environmental conservation message to little ones with upcycled craft
- Foster appreciation for nature and nature's bounty
- Bolster self-confidence when child's artwork is valued and displayed at home
Other Turkey Themed Toddler Activities
- Thanksgiving Turkey Color Sorter Toy made from paper plates
- Thanksgiving Turkey Snacks by The Chirping Moms
- Candy Corn Turkey by Crafty Morning
- Handprint Turkey Family by Fun Littles
- Fun Motor Turkey Craft by Buggy and Buddy
To follow Gwen's play adventures, check out @miraculove_sg (Instagram), save our pins or join A Toddler Activity A Day Facebook Group.
You might also like:
Hi! I am Yunnie. I am the newly minted mama to a little baby girl and a mum friend to everyone on this special (and many times scary) journey of motherhood. Also a graduated bride with a penchant for weddings.