We've visited a number of pumpkin patches in Washington (WA) this fall, namely Bob's Corn & Pumpkin Farm, Oxbow Farm & Conservation Center and The Farm at Swan's Trail. Visiting farms for fall activities has been SO MUCH FUN! For a city-dweller like me who's grown up in the tropics where seasonal change is non-existent, fall family fun is a cultural revelation!
As the end of October nears and farms begin to close, I decided to do a follow-up activity with Gwen (18 months) to reinforce what she learnt about pumpkins and the fall season as well as recollect our experiences at the pumpkin farms. I even built a scarecrow (super cute version) out of duplo lego bricks to remind Gwen of the first real scarecrow she's ever seen, at Oxbow Farm!
Growing Pumpkin Patch Pretend Play with Young Toddler!
- Brown play dough for pretend soil (I used the same recipe as I did here, with the only modification being addition of cocoa powder for the color, and oh-so-delicious chocolate smell!)
- Pumpkin-shaped pasta pack from Trader Joe's
- Rolling pin and toy knife (optional, you can do it by hand)
You can choose to guide the play and purposefully introduce learning moments or simply sit back and allow free play to happen. Even very young children enjoy exploring the texture of play dough with their fingers and hands, and poking objects into the play dough to learn cause and effect!
- Teach numbers by counting the planted or harvested pumpkins out loud
- Fine motor practice (have your little ones plant x rows of pumpkins and harvest them till they're tired of the game)
- Promote imaginary creative play by thinking up pumpkin recipes together and having your little ones pretend cook the harvested pumpkins
- Extend the topic to share more about farm life and the different vegetations and animals that can be found on the farm
- Introduction to material science (talk about properties of a solid, what happens when force is applied to change its properties)
To follow Gwen's play adventures, check out @miraculove_sg (Instagram) or A Toddler Activity A Day Facebook Group.
You might also like:
Hi! I am Yunnie. I am the newly minted mama to a little baby girl and a mum friend to everyone on this special (and many times scary) journey of motherhood. Also a graduated bride with a penchant for weddings.